Monday, February 9, 2015

Review: Stone Guardian (Entwined Realms #1) by Danielle Monsch

Stone Guardian (Entwined Realms, #1)Stone Guardian (Entwined Realms #1) by Danielle Monsch
Purchase Link: Amazon

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Heat rating: 

Gryphons flying past skyscrapers? Wizards battling it out in coffeehouses? Women riding motorcycles with large swords strapped to their backs? All normal sights since the Great Collision happened twenty-six years ago.

Well, not normal for everyone. Larissa Miller may have been born after the Great Collision, but as a history teacher who lives in the human-only city, she has never come into contact with any other race or species, nor has she wanted to. Her life is as ordinary as it gets - that is, until one day she walks out of her apartment and is attacked by a mob of Zombies, only to be saved by a Gargoyle.

Gargoyles trust no one outside their Clan, but due to a cryptic prophecy, Terak, Leader of the Gargoyles, has been watching over the human woman for months. While he can find no reason why the woman has been singled out, something about her stirs every protective instinct within him. When the attack confirms that the threats against her exist and are real, he convinces Larissa that though their races have never been allies, the best chance of discovering why she has been brought into his world is by working together.

In the course of their investigation Terak becomes entranced by his little human. But when he discovers why Necromancers want her and the great reward that awaits him if he betrays her, he must choose between the welfare of his Clan and not only Larissa’s life, but the fate of this New Realm as well.

I saw Danielle post a link about this book (the audio version) on her Facebook page and got sucked in by the gorgeous cover, all that monochromatic grey with the hunky gargoyle on it. Then I read the blurb and found the book to be very interesting, so I immediately bought the Kindle version and pretty much read the book in a single day, in two sittings (I had to take a short break in between for dinner!).

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The story was great, the world building was unique and well developed. I love Terak's character, but then I'm always a sucker for a strong, protective alpha male. I also enjoyed Larissa as well. I loved how sensible Larissa was and that she could acknowledged her weaknesses, working within the confines of her strengths.

I enjoyed the dialogue between Terak and Larissa and loved how the dialogue drove a lot of the development of their relationship. I love a good dialogue driven plot.

All in all, I'm very glad to have discovered this book and Danielle as a writer. I look forward to her next book in the series.

Another thing to note is that this book is the beginning of my obsession with all things gargoyle ... or at least all books that have gargoyle heroes. Don't know what it is about them, but the strong, silent alpha male really works for me. I find them super sexy.

There were also some very memorable moments in the book that I really enjoyed. Here are a few of the quotes from the book that stood out for me:

Danielle Monsch“Well, here were the ugly facts. She had no mad-ninja-skillz to rely on and her family didn’t know where she was. She didn’t know where she was. The only way she was leaving was if this creature allowed it.” 
 Danielle Monsch, StoneGuardian

“Make no mistake, little human. You are under my protection now, and I protect what is mine.” 
 Danielle Monsch, StoneGuardian

“This woman was consuming him, bit by bit. She was becoming the reason and the reward of his existence, and if he did not shield himself, everything he did not have to give would belong to her.” 
 Danielle Monsch, StoneGuardian

“We get chased by orcs, I’m tripping you and running the other direction.” 
 Danielle Monsch, StoneGuardian

View all my reviews


Find me around SOCIAL MEDIA:
Deanna's World Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/langshipley
Deanna's World blog: http://deannasworld1.blogspot.com.au/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/langshipley (this is the best way to reach me, I will always respond to this the fastest).
Twitter: @langshipley https://twitter.com/langshipley
Instagram: @langshipley http://instagram.com/langshipley
Pinterest: https://pinterest.com/langshipley/
Cooking blog: http://dazinthekitchen.blogspot.com.au/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment